The Driver Academy Group (DAG), a consortium led by HGV training specialist HGVC and comprising workforce solutions group Manpower and trade body Logistics UK, is helping 53 third-party logistics firms to train 122 employees as part of its majority-funded Skills Bootcamps in HGV Driving scheme.

While the immediate HGV driver shortage has been solved, the long-term shortage remains. Third-party logistics firms need to continue to recruit new and younger drivers into the profession.

As a result, the Department for Education (DfE) funding offers a lifeline for third-party logistics firms. Now, HGVC is helping 53 logistics firms train 122 new HGV drivers. However, more spaces are available. So, HGVC is encouraging more logistics firms to apply while places remain. Training of new drivers must start by December this year.

The HGV Skills Bootcamps are flexible courses of up to 16 weeks, helping people build up sector-specific skills. First launched in December 2021, the DfE extended the programme until 31 March 2024. The Skills Bootcamps are 70% funded by the DfE. Employers pay the remaining 30 per cent of the course cost.

HGVC’s courses primarily focus on novice training, helping novice drivers gain their Category C (rigid lorry) licence, a Category C+E (articulated lorry) licence or helping those with a Category C licence upgrade to a Category C + E.

James Clifford, CEO of HGVC, said: “Many logistics firms still need more HGV drivers. We are now helping 53 logistics firms train 122 employees. But we have the capacity to train more. That’s why we’re encouraging these firms to apply for the HGV Skills Bootcamps scheme, 70% funded by the DfE. For employers considering training budgets, this is a huge opportunity to train up new drivers or existing staff without blowing the budget.”

Logistics firms can apply at HGVC’s courses are open to any organisation looking to train any employee with a driver’s license. The training courses are available at 60 locations across the country.

Leave a Reply